Newton: An ultimate all-inclusive email management solution.
Services: Managed Engineering Teams, Cloud Architecture Design and review, AWS Graviton migration, Price per performance optimization.
- 30% reduction in email response time
- Capacity to handle 13 million emails daily
- 40% better price/performance
- 25% better computing performance
- 2x faster cryptographic workload performance
Newton is a modern email client application that functions smoothly on macOS, Android, iOS, and Windows platforms. Moreover, this tool provides users numerous helpful features, such as reading receipts, email sharing via a link, and snoozing.
- Poor customer acquisition due to obsolete features
- Integration with multiple third-party libraries
- High cloud infrastructure cost
- The existing infrastructure was complicated to maintain
Proposed Solution & Architecture
- AWS Config empowered feature enhancements, boosting engagement and monitoring.
- Leveraging Amazon OpenSearch, we upgraded search, boosting user acquisition with faster, precise email and data retrieval.
- Analyzed existing workloads and provisioned them for migration to Graviton instances for optional price-to-performance ratio.
- Enhanced performance optimization with AWS Graviton instanced with higher capabilities compared to x86-based instances.
- Implemented solutions such as Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS) for high-performance data storage.
- Simplified data management by implementing Infrastructure as Code (IaC) and tools like AWS CloudFormation
- Implemented AWS Auto Scaling to optimize availability and AWS Elastic Load Balancing to distribute load automatically.
- Leveraged Amazon RDS, AWS Fargate, and AWS Lambda to abstract the underlying infrastructure for enhanced management
- Utilized Amazon S3, AWS Glue, and Amazon Kinesis for storing, cataloging, and processing large volumes of data.
- Orchestrated migration with Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS)
- Strategically integrated DynamoDB for precise cost optimization.
Metrics for success
- By deleing the dynamodb part and keep it up to efficiency
- Reduced the cost of the existing infrastructure to 14 cents/ indexing user/month
- Through the infrastructure we designed, Newton syncs 13 million emails daily.
- Improved application performance by 40% while maintaining cost efficiency
- 60% less energy consumption with higher output compared to EC2 instances.
- AWS Graviton: Graviton offers a better price-to-performance ratio than X86-based EC2 instances.
- Load balancers: Load balancers ensure even distribution of requests between EC2 instances for optimal performance.
- Job distribution: SQS/ Gearman: Amazon SQS and Gearman handle queuing and job distribution for service requests.
- DynamoDB: DynamoDB stores metadata for emails and templates, enabling link tracking and read receipts in Newton.
- Amazon S3 and RDS: Amazon S3 stores templates and attachments, enhancing user experience and enabling public email sharing.
- SQLite storage with thrift interface: SQLite storage with a thrift interface stores email metadata for quick retrieval for up to 60 days.
- Worker Nodes: Worker nodes, powered by EKS, manage various functions like crawling, action, notification, web services, and infrastructure management.