DataDesign.io: Smart data solutions that empower schools.
Services: DevOps, Migration, Cloud Architecture Design and Review, AWS Managed Service Glue, Managed Engineering Teams, Data Catalog, Data Lake, Data Warehousing, Data Quality
- 62% faster processing
- 30% lower processing costs
- 80% ETL automation achieved
DataDesign.io is the visionary ally that empowers educational institutions with ingenious data management and reporting solutions. Their transformative offerings not only unlock precious time and vitality but also foster seamless connectivity among the triumphant trio of students, parents, and teachers.
- Challenge of efficiently handling 7-8 GB daily data for insights extraction.
- Data retrieval, transformation, quality assurance, and cataloging obstacles.
- Complexities of ETL processing, versioning, automation, error handling, and monitoring.
- Need for an end-to-end data pipeline for reliable data processing and analysis.
Proposed Solution & architecture
Our solution involves several AWS services and components working together to create an end-to-end data pipeline. Here’s an overview of the proposed solution:
- Utilized AWS Glue for defining precise ETL jobs, seamlessly transforming and loading data into AWS RDS PostgreSQL database.
- Scheduled and event-triggered execution of ETL tasks ensured timely data processing.
- Introduced upsert mechanism with JSON files, tracked data changes, and seamlessly updated PostgreSQL database.
- Leveraged S3 event triggers to detect new JSON files, triggering Lambda function updates.
- Employed AWS Lambda functions to automate various stages, including file unzipping, data transformation, and ETL job initiation.
- Configured event triggers for automatic Lambda function activation based on specific activities.
- Created a coherent sequence of AWS Glue ETL jobs, expertly handling errors, retries, and notifications via Slack.
- Established AWS EventBridge rule for real-time monitoring of ETL job status.
- Dynamic Lambda function responses ensured swift actions based on job outcomes.
- Integrated Slack for instant notifications, keeping stakeholders informed.
- Effectively harnessed AWS’s scalable infrastructure, ensuring efficient handling of varying workloads.
- Designed a fault-tolerant architecture for quick recovery from failures.
- Leveraged a holistic solution approach, synergizing AWS Glue, Lambda, S3, and more.
- Created an automated, scalable data pipeline addressing data quality, automation, error management, and data analysis.
Metrics for success
- We have implemented an exclusion pattern that effectively eliminates undesirable files, such as meta files and those that have previously been crawled. As a result of this enhancement, we have achieved a remarkable 62% reduction in processing time.
- Realized a 30% decrease in data processing costs through AWS Glue’s optimized resource allocation and managed services.
- Automated 80% of ETL workflows, freeing up valuable time for data engineers and analysts.
- AWS Lambda: AWS Lambda is a serverless compute service that lets you run code without provisioning or managing servers. It’s used to execute code in response to events.
- Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service): Amazon S3 is a scalable storage service for object storage. It provides durable and highly available storage for various types of data.
- AWS Glue: AWS Glue is a managed extract, transform, and load (ETL) service that automates the process of moving and transforming data from various sources to data warehouses, data lakes, and databases.
- Amazon RDS (Relational Database Service): Amazon RDS is a managed relational database service that simplifies the setup, operation, and scaling of relational databases.
- AWS EventBridge: AWS EventBridge is a serverless event bus service that simplifies the integration of various applications by routing events from different sources to different targets.
- Amazon CloudWatch: Amazon CloudWatch is a monitoring and observability service that provides insights into your AWS resources and applications.
- AWS IAM (Identity and Access Management): AWS IAM is a service that manages user identities and their permissions for accessing AWS resources securely.