Newton: An ultimate all-inclusive email management solution
Services: Managed Engineering Teams, AWS managed service AWS Config, Cloud Architecture Design, and review, Policy and Compliance Management, Security Auditing and Threat Detection, Configuration Remediation, Change Management and Tracking.
- 30% reduction in email response time
- 70% reduction in configuration deviation response
- 25% reduction in operational costs
Newton is a new-age email client application that works seamlessly across a wide range of platforms like macOS, Android, iOS, and Windows. In addition, the tool offers users many useful features like read receipts, sharing emails with a link, and snooze, to name a few.
- Poor customer acquisition due to obsolete features
- Integration with multiple third-party libraries
- High cloud infrastructure cost
- The existing infrastructure was complicated and difficult to maintain
Proposed Solution & Architecture
- AWS Config empowered feature enhancements, boosting engagement and monitoring.
- Facilitated smooth shift from physical servers to Kubernetes.
- Orchestrated migration with Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS).
- Unified codebase for perpetual code maintenance simplicity.
- Strategically integrated DynamoDB for precise cost optimization.
- Utilized DynamoDB’s serverless capabilities and dynamic load balancing.
- Employed auto-scaling groups to gracefully respond to demand shifts.
- DynamoDB’s managed database services and serverless logic employed.
- We harnessed AWS Config for resource optimization, enhancing cost efficiency.
Metrics for success
- Realized a 30% reduction in email response time, enhancing overall communication efficiency by leveraging Amazon DynamoDB’s streamlined data processing.
- Reduced the cost of the existing infrastructure to 14 cents/ indexing user/month
- Through the infrastructure we designed, Newton syncs 13 million emails daily.
- Capitalized on Amazon DynamoDB’s managed database services and serverless logic to achieve a 25% reduction in operational costs, while ensuring high-performance data storage and processing.
- Maintained a 95% compliance rate with AWS Config, ensuring resource configurations align with security and compliance standards.
- Reduced response time for AWS Config alerts on configuration deviations by 70%, ensuring timely corrective actions.
- Load balancers: Load balancers ensure even distribution of requests between EC2 instances for optimal performance.
- Job distribution: SQS/ Gearman: Amazon SQS and Gearman handle queuing and job distribution for service requests.
- DynamoDB: DynamoDB stores metadata for emails, templates, and enables link tracking and read receipts in Newton.
- Amazon S3 and RDS: Amazon S3 stores templates and attachments, enhancing user experience and enabling public email sharing.
- SQLite storage with thrift interface: SQLite storage with a thrift interface stores email metadata for quick retrieval up to 60 days.
- Worker Nodes: Worker nodes, powered by EKS, manage various functions like crawling, action, notification, web services, and infrastructure management.
- AWS Config: Utilized AWS Config to continuously monitor and maintain configuration compliance for Newton’s AWS services.